I want to be a serious emerging Melbourne fashion photographer within the next 5-6 years. I want to be photographing for magazines like:
to begin with.
As an overall career ambition I want to work for publications like
- AnOther magazine
- Self Service
- Dazed and Confused
- Acne Paper
- Fantastic Man
- The Gentlewoman
I chose these publications for their avant garde, intelligent approach to fashion and art. They do not have a strong commercial focus. Rather they conduct themselves as cultural resources. I like this respectful approach to fashion as an art form, not a mass-production driven industry.
So… how do I get there?
I have a preliminary plan. Past that, I don’t know how to progress simply because I lack the industry knowledge and experience. I don’t know how a good photographer becomes an industry leader, an artist in their own right. This is something I will have to learn through living and breathing it.
It also means I will have to master my craft until I am so technically excellent that I can’t be ignored.
The plan so far:
- Complete my Diploma of Photoimaging with a strong fashion//beauty/art folio. (In Progress)
- Get my foot in the door with an assisting position with a relevant local photographer.
- Build this relationship and meet other industry professionals that I can go on to work with and for.
- Impress the hell out of them with my hard work, perseverance, ambition and innovation.
- Save enough to buy my own lighting equipment and professional photography kit.
- Get to the stage where I am doing at least one test shoot for a leading Melbourne agency per week. Examples: Vivien’s Creative, Chadwick’s Models, Next Models
- Submit shoots to the first batch of magazines mentioned and keep submitting until I get one published.
And then… and then who knows? That is what I need to find out. I think as I progress through the first 7 steps, the next few will be revealed to me.
Steps one and two are in progress… and I will be updating as time goes on and I tick more stages off the list!